Choosing a gas boiler installer

We tend to use the term ‘boiler installer’ or ‘gas central heating engineer’ rather than ‘gas plumber’ because to install any gas appliance including central heating, boiler installers must be registered with Gas Safe Register, the UK watchdog for gas safety. Gas Safe training courses are rigorous and require boiler installers to prove a high level of competence.

CORGI is still the recognised authority in Northern Ireland.

Gas Safe Register

There is only one gas safety register that you need to use. Look for the yellow Gas Safe Register triangle not the orange CORGI registration badge.

Boiler installers carrying out work on gas boilers must be registered with Gas Safe Register. If not, they are breaking the law and putting you and your family at risk.

Only a Gas Safe registered engineer is legally allowed to install gas appliances, boilers, hobs, ovens or fires in your home or workplace.

You must only use a Gas Safe registered boiler installer for any type of gas work, including installation, maintenance and servicing.

For more information, please visit the Gas Safe Register website.

How to find reliable gas boiler installers

  • Use the tool on this site - it contains a list of installers we recommend.
  • By word of mouth - often the best way of finding someone you can trust is to ask family or friends as they'll be able to give you a first hand account of their experiences.
  • Try the professional bodies - you could also contact one of the professional trade bodies: Institute of Plumbing, Association of Plumbers and Heating Contractors or Gas Safe Register.
  • Use the phone directory - you can't always tell that much from someone's advert so to reassure yourself about an installer's track record and competence you can ask a few simple questions such as:
  • Are you a Gas Safe registered boiler installer?
  • How long they have been in business?
  • Do they have any references, or is it possible to view any similar work they may have done.
  • Find out whether the boiler installer is a member of one of the trade bodies such as the Institute of Plumbing or the Association of Plumbers and Heating Contractors (APHC).
  • Ask if they have insurance to cover your property (and your neighbours).
Gas safe register